There's No Action!

Monday, January 16, 2006

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted and I don't want this blog to officially be called dead by the Blog Police. :)

It's been a hectic time here at 18th Street. We rolled out a new project recently that Ian will be heading up; I'll post the link once we are ready for public access. (and scrutiny!) It is fully functional right now, however, and I am very excited about the possibilities there. It is something which will appeal to both small businesses and their customers, two groups I am very interested in getting in front of! :)

StevesLeads.com is also making substantial progress, although I took a few weeks off of it to hone my CSS skills while putting together the above project. I now have a very nice design in place and am reconfiguring all of the pages to implement it across the development site. I won't bother giving an ETA, but it will be a few weeks at least.

I've been talking to my good friend, Jason of Fetchfood.com fame, about starting a little venture together. So far he has been resistant, perhaps due to his pressing FetchFood obligations, but I am confident I can wear him down eventually. FetchFood would actually be a significant component of the plan, along with SneakyFeelings, StevesLeads, the new undisclosed project, and perhaps even BananaPanel at some point. More on this as it develops. I'm also going to get back into the networking thing once StevesLeads.com is done. 18th Street is really becoming something I am proud of, and I'm eager to start meeting more people I can partner with on various levels to expand our reach into some other markets as well. I'm working with Steve (or rather, nagging him to work. I get like that.) on developing a new monthly group up at a business club downtown that would appeal to small- to medium-sized business executives. It's a tough thing to get off the ground logistically, but it can serve as a valuable resource to all those involved if executed correctly.

In other news, a lot has been going on in the world recently. Many of us were shocked and saddened by the medical problems faced by Ariel Sharon in the past few weeks. While he is a controversial figure in some circles, he is a very courageous man who is almost through a unilateral force of will changing the landscape of the Middle East. The decisions he has made to withdraw Israeli settlements from Palestinian land did not endear him to many of his countrymen, but he knows that it is a necessary step if there is to be a decline in the tensions between Israelis and Palestinians. It was dismaying to hear certain isolated Palestinian leaders celebrating his misfortune, and I sincerely hope they are in the minority. In that conflict there have been many atrocities on both sides, and you could literally count back forever to determine who wronged who first; the important part now is moving on and coming up with a solution that will let the two groups live peacefully side by side. Mr. Sharon knows this, and expended a huge amount of political capital to get it moving in the right direction. Moreso, he is likely the only person with the credentials to pull it off, much like Richard Nixon was the only President of the United States to be able to open a dialogue with China in the 1970s.

I wish him the best of luck in his recovery. Even if he is unable to rejoin the political scene, he has provided a template that can be used by current and future Israeli leaders to forge a new relationship with the Palestinians. I hope the Palestinians understand this and make the most of the historic opportunity.

Ok, enough politics for one entry. Til next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home